About Legal Aid Queensland
Legal Aid Queensland’s (LAQ) vision is to be a leader in a fair justice system where people are able to understand and protect their legal rights. Our purpose is to provide quality, cost effective legal services to financially disadvantaged people throughout Queensland.
About the team
LAQ’s Public Defender Chambers is made up of our in-house barristers providing efficient, effective and high-quality specialist legal advocacy services. The division:
- appears on complex trials and sentences in the Supreme, District and Magistrates courts.
- appears in Mental Health Court sittings.
- appears in the Supreme Court’s civil jurisdiction for respondents in applications brought under the Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003.
- provides advice and representation in approved family and civil law matters.
- models the values of respect, quality and accountability.
- maintains a high standard of practice through governance and risk management.
Our barristers also appear in regional courts, including circuit courts in remote areas such as Mount Isa and the Gulf of Carpentaria.
We are currently recruiting for multiple roles.
What you will do
The Deputy Public Defender is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced barrister to take on a leadership position that is recognised and respected not only within Legal Aid Queensland, but the broader legal profession in Queensland.
You will help lead a collegiate team of barristers, represent legally-aided clients in the High Court of Australia, Court of Appeal, the Mental Health Court and before all superior and inferior courts, with a focus on appeals and complex Mental Health Court hearings. You will be dealing with matters that are challenging, complex and high-profile.
What you will bring to the role
- demonstrated superior ability as a trial advocate in the Supreme and District courts and the ability to appear in complex contested hearings under the Mental Health Act 2016 and the Dangerous Prisoners (Sexual Offenders) Act 2003.
- able to critically review case materials and advise upon, draft and argue grounds of appeal in the Queensland Court of Appeal and High Court of Australia.
- experience guiding and mentoring colleagues
- ability to assist in managing a legal team
- Admitted or eligible for immediate admission as a barrister in Queensland; and
- Eligible for a current practicing certificate and entry in the High Court Register of Practitioners.
- a cover letter (no more than one page);
- a written statement (two pages) on how you have demonstrated the capabilities of the role; and
If this opportunity sounds right for you, see the full position description for how to apply now for your chance to make a positive impact and work for a supportive organisation that makes a difference.
Alternatively, please reach out to Katarina Prskalo on 07 3917 0431 for a confidential discussion.